Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Chinese Proverb

You’ve heard the old Chinese proverb: “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step.” When we look at where we are and where we want to be, it can be overwhelming and discouraging because the distance between them may seem to be so vast. If it appears that there is such a great chasm between them, we might take the easy way and just put off or dismiss beginning to do something about it. After all, where do I start? When I have so far to go, where do I begin?

The old proverb offers the answer. It’s simple and it’s profound at the same time. I begin with one step. Oftentimes our problem is that we want to bite off more than that, don’t we?

It is not by happenstance that the Christian life is described as a walk (2 Corinthians 5:7). It is not a sprint, but a walk. It is not a mad dash, but a steady and progressive walk. We are urged to “walk, not as unwise, but as wise; redeeming the time, because the days are evil” (Ephesians 5:15-16).

So, where am I today? And, where do I want to be tomorrow – and next year? What can I do and where can I begin? I can begin today, right now, with one step.

No comments:

Post a Comment