Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I'm Tired...But I'm Not Tired

      I’m tired of hearing the gutter language that is spoken by some who lack the vocabulary skills to communicate sensibly.  I’m tired of having the homosexual agenda, sometimes in subtle ways and sometimes in ways that are not so subtle, being pushed off on society.  I’m tired of immodesty being so openly and approvingly displayed.  I’m tired of hearing the conflict and wars that are constantly being fought in various parts of the world.  It seems that greedy and power-hungry people are always being disruptive and won’t allow the common person to live in peace.  I’m tired of hearing the reports of innocent people being slaughtered.  I’m tired of reading about rapes, drug abuse, child abuse, spouse abuse, and many other acts of cruelty.  I’m tired of the dishonesty, shady dealings, and duplicity that are often involved in politics.  It’s almost to the point of not being able to trust or have confidence in anyone who is a politician.  We live in a great country, but in my opinion we have almost reached the point where we govern by the polls rather than by what is right or best for the country.  I’m tired of the entertainment industry spewing their ungodliness on the movie screen for all to see, especially the impressionable minds of children.  I enjoy sports as much as anyone, but I’m tired of the fanaticism that some people have toward athletics to the point of ridiculous behavior and blind loyalty.  I’m tired of false religions spreading their deceptive messages that result in the eternal condemnation of people who think they are faithfully serving God.  I’m so tired of these and many other things that I feel much like the apostle Paul who said, “Come, Lord Jesus” (1 Cor. 16:22).  There will be no relief from these and many other problems on this side of eternity.  That’s true because “…the whole world lies in the power of the evil one” (1 John 5:19, NASV).
      While I’m tired of many things, some of which I have mentioned in the preceding paragraph, there are many things of which I am not tired.  After more than 50 years of preaching the gospel, I am not tired of doing it.  It is just as invigorating as it was when I began.  I have never grown tired of the gospel message or the presentation of it.  I have never grown tired of studying the Bible with people in a private setting.  I enjoy listening to good, sound preaching and teaching of God’s word.  I have never grown tired of seeing people change their lives from serving Satan to serving God by obeying the gospel.  I have not grown tired of seeing people develop and mature spiritually.  I have never grown tired of reading and studying the Bible.  It is like a refreshing drink of water to the soul and never becomes commonplace.  I don’t know how many times I have partaken of the Lord’s Supper in the 56 years I have been a Christian, but it has never become old to me.  Singing praises to God with my brethren in the worship services stirs me to this day.  Some of the greatest people I have ever known are my brethren.  They may not be in the headlines or make the evening news, but they are the salt of the earth and I enjoy being in their company.  They make me happy and stimulate me.  I’m never bored being around them.  I have never grown tired of reading and hearing about heaven.  It gives me hope and motivates me to live for God that someday I may be in a place where there are no wars, murders, rapes, abuse, or dishonest people.  God has his own timetable, but I am “…looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God” (2 Pet. 3:12).



1 comment: