Saturday, June 1, 2019

Musings From My Front Porch About Justification


            While sitting on my front porch on this beautiful spring morning, I finished reading a book written by John R. W. Stott entitled, The Cross of Christ.  I purchased the book in 1988 and had read portions of it through the years, but had never read it in its entirety.  Recently, I determined to read it through and finished it today.  It’s a wonderful book that focuses on the most tragic and, yet, the most wonderful event in all of history – the crucifixion of Christ.

            I’ve often wondered how holy God could justify unholy man.  Perhaps you have too.  I believed that He did and have rejoiced in that thought.  In reflecting on the shortcomings of my life with its many transgressions, I have been amazed at the promises of God to not hold these sins against me provided I “walk in the light” (1 John 1:9).  How can God be just in hating sin and, yet, justify me, the sinner?  Stott reminds me of Paul’s answer to that question, “Thanks be to God for his unspeakable gift” (2 Corinthians 9:15).  That’s it in a nutshell!  The perfect, sinless, innocent Son of God died on the cross in my stead that I might live for God on earth and with him throughout eternity.

            That realization encourages me and gives me a “living hope” and I trust it will you as well.  These are just some musings from my front porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment