Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Consistency...Thou Art A Jewel

I’ve heard the above statement practically all of my life.  It’s a good statement, particularly as it relates to moral convictions and human behavior.  We like for people to be honest and consistent in life.
Inconsistency was strongly condemned by the Lord when he chastised the Pharisees for tithing “…mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law” (Mt. 23:23).  He earlier told his disciples and the multitudes who gathered to hear him that they were to do and observe what the Pharisees told them, but not to do according to their deeds, “for they say things, and do not do them” (Mt. 23:2).  Nobody respects a hypocrite.  That’s true in religion and society as a whole.  However, hypocrisy abounds!!
Let me give you a case in point.  You’ll need to bear with me on this one and follow me to the conclusion, but I will get to the point.  I love animals and have been around them most of my life.  Virginia and I don’t have a dog, cat, or bird in our house any longer, but it isn’t because we don’t like them.  We just don’t prefer to have them in the house.  The mission of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is to provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals.  They sponsor ads on television that pull at the heartstrings in an effort to promote care and compassion toward innocent animals, especially household pets.  I am certainly in favor of their efforts in this regard.

My problem is with the inconsistency of our society.  While we applaud efforts on the part of ASPCA and other similar organizations to provide quality life to animals, we pass laws that take away the opportunity of life for babies in the womb.  Am I missing something here?  Millions have been aborted since the 1973 Roe vs. Wade Supreme Court decision.  The rate is about 3,315 daily abortions in the U.S.  Where is the compassion toward unborn babies that is shown for animals?  There is something inconsistent here.

No comments:

Post a Comment