This is a follow-up to the last article in which Susan Merrill wrote about what moms should teach their sons to look for in a girl. I have outlined what Ms. Merrill listed with comments of my own.
1. Look for a gentleman. Polite gestures reflect an inner dignity you will want in a husband. Impoliteness suggests a thoughtless and inconsiderate heart.
2. Look for honor. How does he treat his parents? If he does not honor them, chances are he will not honor you as his wife. Paul told children to honor their parents that it may be well with them (Eph. 6:3).
3. Look for respect. He will treasure you and your body as belonging to your future husband alone. A respectful man will treat “…older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, in all purity (1 Tim. 5:2).
4. Look for integrity. His morals mean something to him and he lives them out in his daily life and not just when you are around.
5. Look for responsibility. He isn’t perfect and will make mistakes. When he does he will take responsibility for his actions.
6. Look for hard work. If a man does not work and provide for his family, he is worse than an unbeliever (1 Tim. 5:8). An indolent person makes for a sorry husband and father.
7. Look for love. Genuine love is more than an emotion. It is an act of the will. He will show love not only by his words, but also by his actions. Read 1 Cor. 13:4-7 and insert his name where the word “love” is found. If he possesses these traits, then it is true love.
8. Look for faith. As mentioned in the previous article this is the most important. Choose a man who will lead you and your family spiritually that you may serve God together and inherit eternal life.